[CS-FSLUG] Fan Replacement

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun Sep 30 23:12:54 CDT 2012

As I noted in a few weeks ago, I planned to replace a 2.6 GHz Pentium 4 with a 3.4 GHz Pentium 4 in an old computer I had (grand total: $17). Unsurprisingly, it causes my little Shuttle XPC to ramp up its variable speed Sunon KD1208PTB1 80x80mm fan frequently. That fan is rather noisy when running at anything above a low speed. It has a 3 pin connector. If I find another 80x80mm variable speed fan with a 3 pin connector, is it safe to presume the power management system will be able to control it?

Looking at that Sunon model, I don't see anything to suggest it uses any sort of proprietary control mechanism. It does seem to do a fairly hefty amount of air displacement...

Also, is air displacement per minute the main specification I should consider when looking for a quieter fan that will still do the job?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Favorite replacement fan brands?

Thanks,
Tim