[CS-FSLUG] Long Copper Run and Fiber Media Converters

Peter J. Vasquez Sr. pjvasquez at baeyogin.com
Mon Sep 24 09:10:18 CDT 2012

I concur with Josiah.  Fiber is a precise art, especially in the
polishing of the ends.  My company has run many thousands of feet
across our area, and even with the thick/tough stuff, we have had
issues in some areas.  Also, unlike cat5/cat6 where you can use a pull
string to get it through, you will need special equipment that 'blows'
the fiber with a lot of force through the conduit to come out in the
other side without breaking or kinking it (this only works if there is
sufficient room, usually when the conduit is empty).

GigE over cat5/cat6 is the way to go.  If you're able to dig another
trench for the conduit and then use PVC to get it between the
buildings, that would be the best option if you can't use the existing
one.  I did this for my church a couple of months ago between
buildings (about 200ft), and it was really worth it to get several
cat6 lines in at once that we can expand to use in the future.  It's a
lot of work, but if you can do it, it really is the best way.  Let me
know if you need any additional information.  Thanks.

--
Peter