[CS-FSLUG] Higher Power Ethernet Switches

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sat Sep 15 17:52:20 CDT 2012

Howdy, folks,
	I'm continuing my project to get Internet from one building to several others. Since I last posted, I've run a brand new Cat 6 cable through an empty conduit. The length is a bit longer than I thought (the underground conduit isn't as direct as I hoped) -- it is approximately 260 ft. In addition, on my cable run, I left about 20 ft of slack -- 10 ft on one end, 7 on the other -- "just in case."

	I have been trying to put Trendnet 8-port unmanaged gigabit "GreenNet" switches between the different runs. They were cheap ($25) and seemed to be well liked. So, I have one of those in the church office; the cable then runs 260 ft to the next switch. When I plug the two together, the lights do not light up on either switch (both of which work, otherwise). However, I plugged in a lowly Linksys WRT54G router and was able to establish a 10/100 connection successfully.

	Thus, I'm wondering if the Trendnet switch's "GreenNet" functionality is causing me trouble. Apparently, it automatically reduces power to the ports to try to lower energy consumption. I'm wondering if it simply is trying to be too green and is thus unable to accomplish what a very basic Linksys router can do.

	Question: Does anyone know of an affordable (preferably sub-$50) gigabit switch that might emit a signal with more power to edge me closer to the 100 meter limit on Ethernet? I'd rather not stick to using the Linksys WRT54G as my switch in this particular location...

	Thanks!

	Blessings,
			Tim

Timothy R. Butler
Discipleship Pastor
Grace Presbyterian Church
timothy.butler at gracepca.net

"The true treasure of the Church is the Most Holy Gospel of the glory and the grace of God." -- Martin Luther