[CS-FSLUG] OT: How to Get Fired from a Seminary

davidm at hisfeet.net davidm at hisfeet.net
Mon Sep 10 12:14:10 CDT 2012

Brother Josiah,  You have explained a set of problems very well, and you
are right on. What men see (even God fearing dedicated christian men and
women) as the church is not the church at all. "...the disciples were
called Christians first in Antioch." Disciple = learner or follower, so
the word "chistian" was applied to them because they were learners, or
followers of Christ. And Christ was revealed through them, and in them,
and among them.

A very great deal of what goes on in the name of Chistianity, is mere
worldly culture. There never was an hour or a day or a   drachma or dollar
spent (not in the whole new testament) on a building to meet in! And
although "...God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily
prophets, thirdly teachers...."  (I Corinthians 12:28), there is no
textual, or contextual evidence that any church ever had a 'head pastor'
or more than one christian church in any city. We need to follow Christ,
and view everyone by the standard of following Christ.

> I'd humbly suggest the problems is that there is a them/us setup. We have
> a bunch of consumers taking what the leaders produce rather than being a
> "we" group. Our culture has taught us to consume and our Christian
culture has taught those in leadership to serve sacrificially by a
generation that served in a far less consumer driven culture and does
not see the change. The result is that consumers suck up all the free
stuff they can get from the producers. The producers produce materials
(programs, studies, sermons, "answer the phone no matter what") that
worked well in the past, often not recognizing that they can never
produce enough for this generation. They were taught to give them all
they need. The people who taught them may have