[CS-FSLUG] DNS blockages?

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Fri Sep 7 10:52:11 CDT 2012

On Fri, 7 Sep 2012, Cia Watson wrote:

> I stopped using OpenDNS when I had at least 2 or 3 sites that were blocked
> due to alleged 'adult content' when they were actually conservative and maybe
> not 'mainstream' political blogs.
>
> I went back to my ISP's DNS and haven't had those issues since. I have
> noticed that some sites get flagged with the Firefox 'WOT' add-on
> as dangerous, but with that I can still visit the site. It's more
> often with alternative health as well as some politically conservative sites.

I suppose it depends on what particular flavor your variations take.
I've never before had any DNS grab my browser after I typed in the IP
address instead of a human-readable URL. This is the first time I've
experienced that, and it happened regardless of the browser, including
Lynx. But I'm on Cox, notoriously insensitive to customer complaints.
OTOH, no one comes anywhere close to my area at that price. For now,
OpenDNS is actually noticeably faster in resolving sites I visit, and
blocks nothing. It's an answer I can live with for now.

Ed Hurst
--------
Open for Business - http://ofb.biz/
Kiln of the Soul - http://soulkiln.org/