[CS-FSLUG] Ethernet Testing

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Wed Sep 5 17:22:02 CDT 2012

Thanks, Tim and Peter! I was mostly worried, re: couplers that I would degrade the signal further. But, if it isn't a problem, I actually have some extra ones on hand. I'm using them with keystone wall plates for areas where the cable terminates in a finished office...

The to Peter's suspicion about a phone system, it is indeed tied to just that sort of phone block. However, I thought that the two unused CAT5e runs were for networking and not additional phone lines to the PBX (which I'm replacing with a hosted Phonebooth.com VoIP PBX to reduce costs and gain features)... so I don't know why they did what they did to those extra cables. But, I'm more than happy to cut the cables and be done with them.

I've heard the conduit was damaged at some point, so I'm a bit nervous about trying a new cable pull using the old cable, but I'm not sure if this is even true. The last administrator was less than helpful with giving information beyond saying pretty much everything was impossible. :-)

Incidentally, does anyone know a good, affordable way to use those nice coax lines to run networking? I've looked at a few options, but none looked especially promising. In theory, it seems like nicely insulated coax would be great for a long run like this...

Blessings,
Tim