[CS-FSLUG] Cygwin Without X

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Sat May 26 20:49:46 CDT 2012

I usually install cygwin without xwindows.
Usually I simply download the setup.exe program and run it, and
simply choose the few packages I want.

Cygwin is litterally a bunch of exe files and a few Dll files.  I
regularly copy a few dll files and the ssh.exe file to different
computers so I can set up scripted ssh connections.  Anyway.  I do
not think you will find many guides showing how to do it, simply
because there is no need to use xwindows when you do cygwin.

Actually, it is a little harder to do cygwin WITH xwindows.  So few
people know how to actually use xwindows that it takes a lot more
explanation for how to do it.

So, the simple way to do it is to download the setup.exe file and
simply only check the packages you want to install.  If you do not
select xwindows as a part of the package, you will not get it.

     - Tim Young