[CS-FSLUG] Question: Working With Compressed Files in Brash

Don Parris parrisdc at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 14:14:55 CDT 2012

Hi all,

In my "Brash" shell script, I want to compress the files into an archive to
save space.  What I am curious about is the best approach to this.  I see
at least 2 options:
<> compress each file or set of files at the time the user tosses them into
the trash (1 compressed archive for each time files are tossed)
<> create an archive on the initial toss action, and append future files to
the one archive

>From a "safety" standpoint, it seems best to create a new archive for each
time the user tosses files into the trash:
<> Don't put all the eggs in one basket - if one archive is somehow lost,
the remaining archives should remain (apart from the user emptying the
trash)
<> Avoids one monolithic archive

Ok, nothing prevents the files being deleted when the user empties the
trash.  They *will* be gone, recoverable only by forensics tools.  Even so,
I lost a lot of data once when I created a monolithic archive and copied to
a CD-ROM.  When I later tried to open it, gzip basically just churned away
- never actually opening my files.  I had help from various lists (I think
this one included) and still never recovered my files.  I have not
forgotten that.

Anyway, just curious as to whether anyone else sees something I should
think about.  I am considering combining tar and bzip.  Tar will let one
view a list of files in an archive - something that will be useful when the
user wants to see what is in the trash.

Thoughts?
Don
--
D.C. Parris, FMP, ESL Certificate
Minister, Security/FM Coordinator, Free Software Advocate