[CS-FSLUG] Intro to Programming Question

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Mon Apr 23 07:59:20 CDT 2012

I recently loaded a computer full of education software from
educational-freeware.com to send to some relatives.  In doing so, I
saw a few very interesting pieces of software which were set up to
teach basic programming concepts.  Their primary draw was that they
gave very good visual feedback for the minimal amount of work.  The
idea being that it did not take too long to to build something that
you could see.

The old, text-based, basic languages (which I learned how to program
in) took a long time to make anything visual.  Never-the-less, some
of my first programs were animated cartoons.  And most of my initial
college-level programs that I remember were somehow visual in nature.

I think one of the draws of Java is that, if you are making an
applett or something small that runs in a browser, you can make
graphics relatively quickly.

I have heard of a number of universities using Java as their initial
language.  Since that was not my first language, the first thought
that always comes to mind is, "Wimps!" ;)  But Java does have most of
the key points for a real language, and people are still paid to
program in it.  So it is appealing because students starting out get
"instant gratification" and it is something that looks good on the
resume.

     - Tim Young