[CS-FSLUG] Video Formats Comparison

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Sat Nov 5 11:43:16 CDT 2011

On 11/5/2011 11:00 AM, Ed Hurst wrote:
> The Windows machines I use have K-Lite Codec Pack and the Classic
> Media Player. The Linux machines are typically decked out with both
> Mplayer and all the extra codecs for Gstreamer. I don't have any
> use for MP3 players, and my cellphones are always the stupidest
> (non-smart phone) ones I can get.

I am not a media junkie, nor do I have well-informed opinions as to
which encoding scheme is "best."  But I do know that it is very
simple to down-scale (lower the frame-rate, bitrate for video or
bitrate for audio.)  At the same time, a lot depends on how the
initial flv file was created.  I have found a number of flv files
that were much smaller before I down-scaled them than before.  The
flv format has a few oddball things that can be optimized during the
initial creation of the file which get unoptimized when it is
reencoded.  Anyway.  I have good success shrinking things to the
H.263 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.263> or MPEG-4 Part 10
(AVC/H.264) <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264>.  Many things that I
reencoded to those turned out smaller.  But dropping the bitrates and
framerate seemed to have more impact than just the encoding scheme.

     - Tim Young - very-much the novice when it comes to encoding