[CS-FSLUG] Disc copier or computer and program needed

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Thu May 12 08:24:06 CDT 2011

Hi David,
When do you need to have your new device by?

My brother, Philip, built a device of his own for the DC outreach.
He found that with an i7 processor, he could burn 9 simultaneous
copies.  The problem with most burners / software is that they are
designed to do one copy at a time.  So the software takes the audio
files, processes them to turn them into an iso image, then burns
them.  There is a fair bit of processing time taken with the prep.
But an i7 processor has the capability to handle 9 completely
separate streams at the same time.

So he had a large tower with an i7 processor.  He used XP Pro because
he was used to it.  The CD-burning program he used was
CDBurnerXP-Pro.  He was looking to build a device that he could be
burning multiple simultaneous languages with, and that is what he
came up with.  The down side is that, it was not as streamlined when
you had one language that you wanted nine copies of.

Philip had a number of Sony burners that he did not like, and he was
slowly replacing.  I do not know what brand he was moving towards.

The DC outreach is this 4th of July, and the new director of that
project switched to having multiple burning stations instead of "one
station to rule them all."  So there may be a chance that Philip's
station may be available after the 4th of July if they ended up not
using it.    Not sure about that, but it might be worth corresponding
with my parents on that one.

     - Tim Young