[CS-FSLUG] M$ and interoperability

George Rodier gwgr at shaw.ca
Sun May 8 22:05:13 CDT 2011

Gentlefolk,

During the presentation by Microsoft to VanLUG the other night
(2011-05-05) it became clear to me what is M$'s plan of attack against
Linux.

A bit of background, Microsoft sponsors Make Web Not War each year and
this year it came to Vancouver, BC. In a VanLUG (Vancouver Linux Users
Group) special meeting with M$ the night before MWNW we had a
presentation about M$ Open-Source projects. See
http://www.vanlug.bc.ca/ . (N.B., these notes reflect my understanding
of what transpired during the meeting and do not constitute any official
position on the part of VanLUG.)

The speaker showed us that he (and M$) do understand a lot about OSS. He
also showed us that his project is to make it possible for major
elements of OSS to compile and run well on M$ Windows servers. "Open
Source is all about the applications," said he.

I did not get all the notes but he did refer to M$ having set up
organizations to hold title to his project's work. He suggested we check
out http://www.outercurve.org/ and http://coapp.org/ .

Then too, he also made it quite clear that, for M$, interoperability is
a one-way street as they have no plan or desire to make it possible for
any Windows application to run on any Linux server. (This is my
understanding of what said, not his words per se.) He was especially
hostile towards the Wine project. Quote, "If you want Windows I'll give
you Windows!". I remain unconvinced that he actually would.

Indeed, as his talk progressed it became clear that their goal is to
make any server other than M$'s servers redundant. In the discussion
which followed the main presentation it became clear that M$'s business
approach to companies, large not-for-profit organizations, and public
agencies such as school boards, colleges and universities will be to
give then a single figure fixed price. A fixed price being most
attractive to budget planners among others.

What was not said but seems clear to me from other sources is that such
deals will include a provision that there be no other type of server
other than those from M$.

As much of Linux' strength is in the server arena it is not surprising
that M$ would seek to make it attractive for businesses and
organizations to do away with their Linux servers. Destroy the Linux
server business and you do much to hobble and injure F/LOSS.

The image that was left in my mind was of someone adding lights, music
and other attractions to make the doorway to hell most attractive to OSS
developers.

Granted, I may sound like a rabid ABM fanatic but I have known, worked
with, supported and endured M$ products for more than twenty years. Over
the years I have seen that often it has not been the better software
that wins but the better marketer and the one with the deeper pockets.

My most generous conclusion; continue to beware the wolf in sheep's
clothing.

Georges

P.S, MS stands for Multiple Sclerosis, right? Hence my using M$ to
designate Microsoft. GR