[CS-FSLUG] Winbooks: Wifi vs Ethernet

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Fri Jun 10 10:49:15 CDT 2011

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011, Ed Hurst wrote:

> I am even offered a chance to set up a login based LAN connect (such as
> PPOE, DSL, etc), but not one for DHCP. It's as if some system default
> sets a priority by which standard ethernet LAN is ignored if any wifi is
> present. I've always had to use my laptop to configure routers because
> it willingly grabs any network connection I give it. Something changed
> with the defaults when Vista was released, because this never happened
> under XP. They've apparently kept this with Win7.

I apologize for replying to my own post, but my use of the word
"priority" triggered a recall of something and I searched using that
term. Apparently Vista and Win7 have hidden the device priority deep in
the dialogs, making it so obscure no one would normally find it.

Windows does not treat connections equally, but requires they be
prioritized. You have to force it to consider the ethernet above wifi,
or it will not consider it at all. The means using the CLI to discover
the priority, then manually drilling down through several layers of
dialog, turning off the automatic ordering and manually reassigning the
numerical values:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27994/how-to-change-the-priority-of-wiredwireless-network-cards-in-windows/

What a convoluted mess! It's stuff like this which makes me believe
there are people at Microsoft who actively hate their fellow human
beings.

Ed Hurst
--------
Open for Business - http://ofb.biz/