[CS-FSLUG] Winbooks: Wifi vs Ethernet

Cia Watson ciamarie at my180.net
Fri Jun 10 10:06:30 CDT 2011

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 08:39:09 -0500 (CDT)
Ed Hurst <ehurst at soulkiln.org> wrote:

> I've been researching this and I've not seen any useful explanations
> yet. When I call on a computer ministry client, I usually bring my
> laptop running Scientific Linux 6. It helps me in diagnosing and
> setting up routers with wifi. Part of the reason is most of my
> clients' Windows laptops refuse to use the ethernet port.
>
> Back in the days of XP dominance, this was not an issue. XP laptops
> are like Linux, in that whatever network is available is the one it
> will use. Vista and Win7 laptops resolutely refuse to recognize
> ethernet. It's not even an option in the networking dialogs. I've dug
> through the various config dialogs and have yet to identify why this
> is.

Hi Ed,

The only experience I've had with Win7 is when I've remotely installed
some software for a customer. Since this software had to get to the
internet we'd usually have to create an exception on the firewall. So
the first thing I thought of in relation to your query was possibly it
had something to do with firewall settings? Or drivers. ?

The application we'd install used a USB port so it installed it's own
driver software as part of the installation process.

Cia