[CS-FSLUG] HTTP GET request

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Sat Jan 1 06:20:49 CST 2011

On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 01:26:46 -0600, Peter J. Vasquez Sr.
<pjvasquez at baeyogin.com> wrote:

> I don't know of any client commands you could use, but the easiest
> method for testing sites would be adding the FQDN to public IP mapping
> on your computer's hosts file so it's resolved for you locally.  Then,
> when you try and connect to a site you know is being hosted by a
> server, you get the effect of a functional DNS even when DNS might be
> flaky or unavailable.  Hope this helps.  Let me know if you were
> looking for something else, and I'll be glad to assist if able.

I am aware of OpenDNS and host files and name-caching servers. I was
thinking more along the lines of asking the server at the other end to
perform a redirect, perhaps. That's the part I don't quite get, but I've
seen nasty crafted URLs used in phishing which appear to send you one
place you might trust, but actually gets you directed to a malware bot. I
was thinking there was a more benevolent purpose possible, but don't know
how to formulate it.

--
Ed Hurst
--------