[CS-FSLUG] OT: Biblical literacy and spiritual growth

davidm at hisfeet.net davidm at hisfeet.net
Sat Dec 3 15:22:40 CST 2011

Both of these programs look pretty good for literate Christians. In their
case the real issue is awaking in them a hunger for the word. So I have a
question, and then an observation.  First the question: Are either one of
these available in Spanish?

Now the observation:

I've observed something in the third world you often don't have occasion
to observe in America, which leads me to think that - far more important
than actual Bible study - what is important is the desire to know and do
the will of God. That observation is this:

Illiterate christians who have a sincere desire to know and do the will of
God grow rapidly in their spiritual lives even though they cannot read,
while literate christians who lack that sincere desire do not, even though
they participate in Bible reading exersizes.

Probably in many cases that is because they are good listeners, and
heartily obey (by listening) the injunction of 1Tim 4:13: "...give
attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine...." Not only do they
know the scripture and good doctrine, but they learn it quickly and put it
into practice. And as a bonus they often rapidly learn to read as well.