[CS-FSLUG] Advocacy Sword and Bolivia

Yamandu Ploskonka yamaplos at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 12:56:20 CDT 2011

Stephen,

I have the best hope and will join you in prayer that He will see this
change.

Meanwhile, let me share with you that because it is so easy to get
pirated materials there, there is little if no awareness of the
alternatives, and no real interest to change.
People, including believers, do not see piracy as a sin, which is
exactly part of the Scheme to keep them bound in sin - as Bill Gates has
pointed out, piracy makes people dependent on Microsoft, and all that
remains is to "figure out how to charge them someday"

I personally find myself in a bind.  Scripture (1 C 8, 1 Co 10) makes me
feel I am intruding in a matter of personal conscience. Yet, I do point
out the advantages of enjoying a virus-free life :-)

Buying a copy also raises a neat little point in the consciousness of
people.  People do "pay" for the pirated software (as they would be
asked to pay for legal one) as such they feel they are "clean".  They
paid, they own it, they're good. If there was some piracy involved, it
is not they...

OTOH, my soul smarts on the matter of people who will happily register
their copyright on God's word.  I know and agree that copyrights -
reasonable ones, maybe 12 years - have a good reason to exist, but all
of God's word, or materials directly using God's word are IM upset
opinion, of the highest order Public Domain, actually above it if there
ever was such a classification as Creation Domain.

My conversation with the Bible Union in Bolivia, regarding their Aymara
translation of the Bible, was totally unfruitful.  The current version
is now Public Domain in Bolivia (50 years after publication), and thus I
shouldn't care, except that they are finally doing a revision...

Of course I boycott Zondervan, and I was happy of visiting a church
recently where (I was told later it was merely a coincidence) several
songs during worship where indicated in the screen as "public domain".
I am so weak that in my own church, every time the projector reminds me
that such and such song which copies words from the Bible doesn't belong
to God and us but actually is owned and we are paying some mayor
entertainment company more known for its strong support of sensual
lifestyle choices, it really messes up a chance to think about that song
helping me focus in healing my soul or anything worthy.

Meanwhile a several-year campaign to recuperate previous translations
held by SIL with many other Bolivian Native languages has not got any
results either. While their calls for more money for translations arrive
to my mailbox quite often, those already existing materials, maybe the
last known copy, sit uncopied, undistributed and hopefully at least
protected in some storage. Some of those are likely to become not only
obsolete but downright useless as time passes, the corresponding tribes
dying off without the benefit of clergy, to use the idiom in its true
sense :-(

A multi year effort by some Avant missionaries to transfer reel-to-reel
tapes of jungle languages was completed several years ago, them leaving
several CD copies in different locations.  None of those can be
retrieved now, several of them likely lost - who knows, maybe all of
them - bless their heart, they retired to Canada without keeping a copy
themselves...

Have you ever responded to an appeal to help translation of Scripture?
be aware that most likely those efforts will be "owned" later by
someone, or lost and not reach those they were meant for - I know of
extremely few Scripture materials that are both recent and Free, and
just merely rescuing those in storage and making them available would
already maybe make an impact at extremely small additional cost - after
all, their preparation has already many times been paid for.

BTW, anything published pre 1961 is now totally legal to copy in Bolivia
and those countries that were not forced yet to follow the example of
the US to bow to Hollywood. Thus any such initiative regarding the very
popular Reina Valera 1960 can legally be distributed from a server in
Bolivia - that might be simpler that getting the copyright holders to
understand  that freely you have received and freely you should give...
(and in many case not even free - many of them owe their whole
livelihoods to donations, they didn't get the stuff simply for free,
they were and are /paid/ to "own" the stuff - absurd, innit?)