[CS-FSLUG] Confessions of a Dumb Spreadsheet User

Robert Wohlfarth rbwohlfarth at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 21:17:38 CDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 7:23 PM, David McGlone <david at dmcentral.net> wrote:

> I'm contemplating not using a bank anymore because I know some things
> that banks try to hide.. The banks are also changing the way they do
> things to try and trip people up and rack up overdraft charges. For
> instance, my bank has quit processing online bill pay on the weekends
> until the following Monday, they have also quit taking debt card
> transactions out of your balance immediately and tries to hold them
> longer without showing them on their website. This is a tactic to try
> and cause overdrafts.

That was one reason I started doing the budget before the month starts. As
long as expenses stay under budget, the bank doesn't win. The hardest part
is tracking sinking funds (save a little each month for big, annual bills).
GnuCash's double entry accounting gets in the way.

Cash still works best for stuff like food and gas. At least then we always
know exactly how much is left. Makes it very easy to say "no" (or "yes")
when the kids ask for ice cream.

As hard as it is, I love having a budget - telling the money where to go
instead of wondering where it went.

--
Robert Wohlfarth