[CS-FSLUG] Bulk filename recoding?

Eduardo Sanchez lists at sombragris.org
Wed Sep 22 07:40:02 CDT 2010

Dear Listmembers,

I know the answer must be somewhere but I can't recall that and therefore I
ask for your help.

Problem is, sometimes I get non-ASCII characters in filenames; e.g.,
"résumé.pdf". Especially if those filenames come from zipped or RAR'ed
packages, trying to copy them from my ext3 filesystem to a FAT one (such as
those of pendrives or mp3 players), the file transfer in Midnight Commander
fails.

Renaming the filenames and ensuring that all characters in the filename are
ASCII usually solves the problem.

Now, my question is: how can I do this massively? Say, I have recursive
folders and subfolders that need to be renamed, something that would be too
burdensome to do by hand. How can I do it?

Thanks in advance,

Eduardo
--
Eduardo Sanchez, B. Th.