[CS-FSLUG] Wireless Printing

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Mon Sep 13 08:50:52 CDT 2010

I'm familiar with wireless networking in most home uses. What's new to me
is wireless printing. A friend bought a Brother laserjet with wireless
capability. There is a home network all Windows. The printer is connected
to the home DSL router, which includes wifi. However, I understand the
printer itself has a wifi capability, apparently not in use right now.

Users on this home network often get an error indicating the printer is
offline. While there are diagnostics available, nothing seems to offer a
way to keep this thing from going offline again.

1. Is there likely something in the printer's internal setup doing this?
2. Would it work better to use the printer's own wifi or the home network
wifi?
3. Any other suggestions?

--
Ed Hurst