[CS-FSLUG] Apple tightens its grip on developers with Mac App Store

Davo Smith christiansource at davosmith.co.uk
Fri Oct 29 03:33:08 CDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 9:16 AM, Jon Glass <jonglass at usa.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 10:10 AM, Davo Smith
> <christiansource at davosmith.co.uk> wrote:
>> Remember the difference is a bit like someone driving their car in
>> first gear all the time, because no one has taught them how to change
>> gear, rather than because someone has welded a large metal plate to
>> the gearstick to stop you moving it.
>>
> But nobody's done that! You have accused Apple of something that they
> have not done! In fact, even with the App store, it will still be
> easier to load your own software from the internet than with Ubuntu.
> BTW, from my wife's perspective, the gear _is_ welded in first. She
> doesn't know how, and doesn't trust what she reads to know what to do.
> She is the deer in the headlamps. I administer her computer, just like
> the others in the house, so it's not a big deal, but your portrayal of
> the welded first gear is a misrepresentation.

But if you read the next paragraph, I clearly stated that was
representing the 'doom and gloom' scenario of Apple removing the
alternatives (much like they have with the iPhone).

I still maintain that there is a big difference (if it ever came to
it), between the user not knowing how to do something and the software
vendor actively preventing it.

Davo