[CS-FSLUG] Go-OO Novell and LibreOffice

George W. Rodier gwgr at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 22 02:00:49 CDT 2010

On the question of whether or not the Go-OO project will be absorbed
into LibreOffice please consider the following two items.

The first is the endorsement of the Document Foundation by Novell as
posted on the DF Supporters page. ""Viva la LibreOffice", said Guy
Lunardi, product management Director at Novell. "We look forward to
working with the Document Foundation to help develop a solid open source
document software offering. Ultimately, we envision LibreOffice doing
for the office productivity market what Mozilla Firefox has done for
browsers"." http://www.documentfoundation.org/supporters/

Then there is the following article "Michael Meeks talks about
LibreOffice and the Document Foundation" http://lwn.net/Articles/407339/ .

Of special interest is his statement, "Of course many of the go-oo
features have been merged, some are still pending review, and going
forward go-oo will be obsoleted by LibreOffice."

Meeks does speak of Novell's participation which, to me, leads further
weight to the idea that Novell will put its money in the Document
Foundation rather than continuing support for Go-OO. Meeks says, "Oh
certainly, I, and Novell are only a small part of this effort,...".

Georges