[CS-FSLUG] Oracle, OO.org and LibreOfficet, CS Vol 80, Issue 2

George W. Rodier gwgr at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 19 10:22:52 CDT 2010

Le 2010-10-18 10:00, christiansource-request at ofb.biz a écrit :

[snip
> Today's Topics:
>
>     1. Oracle, OO.org and LibreOffice (Ed Hurst)
>     2. Re: Oracle, OO.org and LibreOffice (Eduardo Sanchez)

[snip

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 07:37:50 -0300
> From: Eduardo Sanchez<lists at sombragris.org>
> To: "A Christian virtual Free Software and Linux Users Group."
> 	<christiansource at ofb.biz>
> Subject: Re: [CS-FSLUG] Oracle, OO.org and LibreOffice
>
> On Sunday 17 October 2010 20:24:08 Ed Hurst wrote:
>> Is there anyone on the list competent to comment on what appears a
>> rather ugly disagreement on the OO.org planning council? I don't want to
>> steer the conversation in any particular direction; I'm just curious if
>> someone I know is close to the story, and if they'll comment.
>>

>> Ed Hurst
>

> I really don't know what's going on. It's rather disappointing to see a fork,
> though.
>
> Eduardo

Ed, Eduardo and friends,

Although a rank outsider, as I read the Document Foundation info it
would seem that as in the history of table cutlery a knife was needed
even before a fork. By that I mean that the strangle hold Oracle had on
OOo really required a separate foundation not controlled by one
commercial company.

Is anyone getting a sense that Oracle wants to be a company encouraging
and supporting FLOSS? Then too there is the near constipation of
Oracle's internal development processes and practices that was slowing
development to a crawl (at least as expressed by some, if not many, of
the developers).

There does not have to be a final fork as Oracle has been asked to join
the Document Foundation ( http://www.documentfoundation.org/ ) and to
transfer the OOo name thus setting the whole work free. See especially
the DF FAQ page.

It is my understanding that the version of OOo included in the various
releases of Ubuntu is, in reality, their version of Novell's earlier OOo
fork and incorporates certain Ubuntu modifications which in turn have
been contributed back to OOo.

Do I think Oracle will set OOo free so Canonical, IBM, Novell and others
can join in supporting and contribute to the development of OOo? No. And
that is the sad reality behind the LibreOffice fork.

Georges