[CS-FSLUG] The Linux desktop is about to get a LOT faster

Cia Watson ciamarie at my180.net
Fri Nov 19 03:15:54 CST 2010

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 20:18:05 -0500
"Fred A. Miller" <fmiller at lightlink.com> wrote:

> On 11/18/2010 03:21 AM, Cia Watson wrote:
> > Awesome... I'll be on the lookout. The thing is I'd really want it
> > on my old laptop with only 256mb of ram, running Fedora 12 which
> > just went EOL last week. So I may have to see if I can shoe-horn
> > F13 on there, when I tried before I think it would just go into
> > some reboot cycle and never get me to a desktop. Or possibly F14...
>
> 'Might not be able to put it on there.....getting tough to use
> anything current on some old limited hardware.

Thanks Fred, I suspect you're right, and I'm just going to let F12 stay
put on there. I do have it dual-booting with Linux Mint 9 LXDE which
may end up with an updated kernel with that patch at some point soon. I
don't use the Mint very often because it does strange things to the
system clock so I have to enter the date & time for the bios just to
get it to boot after running Mint.  Same thing when I tried
#!Crunchbang on there.

And my primary computer is my desktop pc, so I'm sure that will see the
new kernel goodness sometime soon!

Cia