[CS-FSLUG] GDM, KDM and Services

Eduardo Sánchez lists at sombragris.org
Sun Nov 14 11:53:15 CST 2010

Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 10:53:17 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Re: [CS-FSLUG] GDM, KDM and Services

[snip]

> Great minds think alike. I had thought of this, and checked ps under
> both situations while playing with RHEL 6.0-Beta.
>
> The difficulty with this approach is I find too many of the items
> cryptic, and there are a lot of them. A great many services, it seems,
> are initiated as children of some other process, and I just don't know
> enough to trace them out. However, if someone is not able to offer
> something simpler, I realize I won't have much choice.

Thank you namesake! :)

That's why I thought of diff. Perhaps seeing the lines that differ,
instead of the whole sha-bang, would be easier.

Now I have three other suggestions:

1. Put your machine under init 5 using just XDM. Take a snapshot of its
processes, and do the same under GDM/KDM. Perform the same comparison.

2. Another idea: do this:

a) # ls /etc/rc.d/rc3.d > init3services.txt

b) # ls /etc/rc.d/rc5.d > init5services.txt

then, do the diff stuff as suggested before.

3. Perform the same diff between baseline logs of /var/log/syslog
or /var/log/messages in initlevels 3 and 5.

Blessings,

Eduardo

--
Eduardo Sanchez, B. Th.