[CS-FSLUG] Linux Drive Cloning

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Mon Jul 26 00:08:53 CDT 2010

Hi everyone,
	I'm wondering if anyone could offer some advice on cloning a disk? I want to take a 250 GB ext3 hard disk full of data (and the Linux system and boot files, too) and clone its data onto a 500 GB disk. I've done this on the Mac in Disk Utility, and if I tell it to put the contents of a certain partition onto a larger partition, that works just fine.

	Would the same be true in Linux? Any pointers?

	Typically, I've done a fresh install when moving a Linux install to a different drive. I guess I could copy the partitions to the new drive while keeping them the exact same size and then resize them afterwards, but that sounds less efficient.

	Thoughts?

	Thanks,
		Tim