[CS-FSLUG] off topic? gcc help

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Fri Jul 16 16:29:54 CDT 2010

  Hi there,
Your error message means that, when you ran the configure, you did
not tell it what the target was (or did not have a target that it
understood).

On the first link you sent, it had this example:

/	configure --target=$TARGET  --prefix=$PREFIX  --disable-nls/

Where, in a section above, the variables TARGET and PREFIX are
configured:
/
/

/	export  PREFIX=/usr/local/cross
	export  TARGET=i586-elf/

The "TARGET" variable is what is important.
Basically, the cross-compiler knows how to build gcc for a ton of
different architectures, but only those architectures.  If nobody has
ever built gcc for that chip, you are in for a rough ride.  :(  But,
if they already have the info for that architecture, then giving it
the complete information in the "TARGET" variable should get you started.

The file, bfd/config.bfd should contain a list of known
architectures.  Hopefully one of those will be close enough to the
chip you are trying to build gcc for.

My time availability is rather sporadic at the moment, which is why I
am keeping this discussion on the list instead of taking it
off-list.  I know a few folks on the list have compiled things
before, so someone may be able to jump in if I cannot.  :)

While a lot of Linux is set up through package managers these days,
there are still a number of cases where you need to use make,
configure, etc.  So these skills are fairly "on topic" for this
email-list in my book.

     - Tim