[CS-FSLUG] Printers on Linux

sjm sjm.mlists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 10:30:31 CDT 2010

On 07/08/2010 06:38 AM, Ed Hurst wrote:
> l4c wrote:
>
>> Sorry for your probs Ed.  My first recommendation is *always* to go for
>> an HP printer with native postscript support.  They *always* work
>> flawlessly under Linux.  Barring that, Lexmark provides Linux drivers,
>> however, I, personally, think they are cheapo printers.  Many people
>> have recommended Brother printers, and they are a good brand name as
>> well.  In fact, here is a good website to check out for actual model
>> recommendations:
>> http://wize.com/printers/t66817-linux
>
> Yes, I saw that. My first instinct was to wonder if it was just another
> sales or ad portal, but the facts seem to show Brother a dark horse
> winner for the price.

I recently bought a Brother printer and haven't had problems with it.

As an aside, if you feel inclined to jump through a couple of hoops for
them (depending on your thoughts on the principals involved), you might
install Windows on a virtual machine for the tech's satisfaction.
Another option is to get in touch with a "consumer advocate" that some
of the TV stations or newspapers have to give them a story to pursue
about the unreasonableness of the tech support you're getting.

sjm