[CS-FSLUG] Killer way to slay the Google beast!

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Sat Jan 30 19:13:47 CST 2010

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:51:11 -0600, Timothy Butler <tbutler at ofb.biz> wrote:

>> I have made StartPage my default and NO LONGER use Google.
>
> Thoughts on how accurate it is compared to Google? I haven't seriously
> used another search engine besides Google (with VERY occasional hat tips
> to Yahoo and Bing) probably since the time when AltaVista was relevant,
> largely because none of the others seem to provide as good of results.

I have noticed in my own searching Google covers a wider range of
applications, so that I get often get Froogle links as part of the result,
as well as news links, etc. They tend to be appropriate. But sometimes I
don't want any of that. It's getting to the point I am having a tough time
differentiating the results of one or the other among the many engines.
That is, while Google often has a lot more links, and sometimes better
links, they often throw in stuff which is totally inappropriate. Indeed,
often it shows a link with snatches of text indicating why they offered
it, but going there I find nothing at all pertaining to my terms. Google
does too much, sometimes. And I note I find Bing's over-active JScript
very annoying, even if their initial pages are better targeted. Yahoo is
okay for a change of pace.

I can remember when Go.com was the best, because you could refine a
previous search.

--
Ed Hurst