[CS-FSLUG] udev and SATA DVDRs

Cia Watson ciamarie at my180.net
Mon Feb 1 11:02:44 CST 2010

Hi Ed,

Do you happen to have a link or 2 to any of those bug reports? Over the
weekend I was trying to burn / copy some video dvd's (they're
instructional dvd's where the copyright owner has given permission to
copy up to 100 of them to give away...) and ended up with a bunch of
coasters myself.

I've burned CD's on this drive just fine, and I used the slowest speed
(4x) trying to burn the dvd's and tried K3B, Gnomebaker, and then used
K9copy to create the iso before I tried to copy (and tried it under
Fedora 12 x64 and Linux Mint). It would generally say 'success' on
the burn but then fail the verification or not work in my dvd
player. Once or twice there was a burn failure error message.

Then I tried Nero Linux on Fedora 12 and found something on Fedora
Forums to add to the /etc/rc.local file to get it to recognize the
drive and from there discovered it's a SATA drive. I don't know for
sure I"m having the same problem but I could check message logs and/or
create another coaster and check then. I figured I'll look for a bug
report on Redhat bugzilla or raise one myself. I think they're making
an effort to squash a lot of bugs since RHEL 6 is due out sometime this
year and I read in the rawhide forum that the upcoming Fedora 13 will
be it's 'base'.

I did a web search for linux sata dvd and didn't come up with much,
that was helpful, which is why I asked if you have links...

Thanks,

Cia