[CS-FSLUG] Cultural Norms

sjm sjm.mlists at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 11:34:47 CST 2010

On 12/16/2010 12:37 AM, Jon Glass wrote:
> On Thursday, December 16, 2010, Timothy Butler<tbutler at ofb.biz>  wrote:
>>
>>           All that to say, while I prefer to stick to proper grammar and "polite" language, I'm not sure coarse language is necessarily prohibited by Scripture.

> Back in those days, no believer would ever
> think of saying such a thing. Of course, such a word also fits to just
> saying it by itself. And soon, it became a nice adjective in its own
> right (as in this case)....

Just a thought to put into the discussion:  would our discussion be any
different if the "adjective" used was a different one?  How about the
"lighter" word "darn" or "dang"?  Or a "harder" one starting with the
letter "f"?

 > Here's a question. If we, as believers, not only allow society to
 > degrade, but also follow its trends, where does that put us? Ought not
 > our lives be a counter-point to the world? In other words, maybe in
 > our attempts to be "relevant" we make ourselves completely irrelevant.

I think this is more to the point.  Is there a line between being a
Roman to the Romans and losing your saltiness?  How do we distinguish
between one or the other?

To that I put forth 2 Corinthians 6.3:
We put no obstacle in anyone’s way, so that no fault may be found with
our ministry,

Now, an obstacle could be a Pharisaic "holier than thou" or a loss of
saltiness and irrelevance.  Where we define things for us we will need
to answer to God for, but let's not wound each other with friendly fire
and forget the enemy with whom we are truly at war.

Just a few thoughts.