[CS-FSLUG] Former contractor says FBI put back door in OpenBSD

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Thu Dec 16 05:57:29 CST 2010

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 23:38:44 -0600, Fred A. Miller <fmiller at lightlink.com>
wrote:

> Backdoor code was allegedly added to the IPsec stack 10 years ago,
> giving the FBI secret ways to snoop on encrypted traffic

This is getting a lot of discussion in the crypto business. Being they are
all such a cynical lot, there is among those folks a strong belief Gregory
Perry is not entirely truthful. He names Jason Wright as the main culprit
in making a back door. Wright responds with factual evidence which casts
Perry as an attention hound, and points out where he did and did not
contribute (file names, changelogs, etc.). Perry throws out another
statement to reinforce his assertions. That was where it ended late
yesterday (in my part of the world).

There was already a pretty long thread on Slashdot, of course, and
discussion about how it might be done and not noticed by reviewers. It's
way over my head. But my own cynicism leads me to believe Perry is, at the
least, mistaken.

--
Ed Hurst
--------