[CS-FSLUG] Internet War?

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Fri Dec 10 09:59:25 CST 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Ed Hurst <ehurst at soulkiln.org> wrote:
> I offer qualified agreement with your assessment of the 4chan crowd,
> which is pretty much the source for the so-called Anonymous and Project
> Payback. I rather think they will continue so long as it entertains
> them, but not much farther. Whether anyone in that mix is actually
> more determined remains to be seen. I rather think more determined
> actors would be simply using Anonymous as a mask, provoking a noisy
> rabble to hide something more serious in nature.

Well, there are the serious anarchists--but honestly, every one I've
known falls into the, as you call them, 4chan crowd. Immature, and
psychotically so. (i.e., they'll never grow up)

> Let's assume for a moment someone involved actually intends to defend
> the relative freedom of the Internet. Aside from political activism
> itself, what might someone do technologically, were they fairly capable?
> What sort of Internet events would signal something more serious afoot?

Well, the absolutely worst way to "defend" freedom on the internet is
to attack it! As is commonly said, nature abhors a vacuum. By creating
greater chaos, they are bringing full-on controlled internet upon
every one of us. We forget that laws exist, not because of law
abiders, but because of the law breakers. You disrupt the order, you
force stronger enforcement of order. So, their actions will only
backfire. Oh, and this is not so much a technical argument, but one of
human politics. Technically, it sort of frightens me what is
happening, because I see the potential consequences, of which, it
would seem, the only way to avoid them is to go entirely luddite.
bleh.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland