[CS-FSLUG] Decentralized DNS

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Wed Dec 1 16:31:05 CST 2010

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010, Josiah Ritchie wrote:

> In certain countries the Bible is less than a welcome book. If we
> wanted to access the BibleGateway.com in those countries who may use
> DNS as a means of blocking such access, then a decentralized DNS would
> allow us to still access the materials. We could then also change the
> IP associated with that service regularly so that it would be
> difficult to block access to BibleGateway.com without blocking large
> sections of the Internet. With IPv6 a certain amount of anonymity
> related to each IP would also be available making it more difficult to
> track down the offending IPs owners. It would certainly only be a part
> of the solution, but the distribution of media whether smut or the
> Bible is still the distribution of 0 and 1s so the potential exists
> for the tech to be used for good.

Pretty much what I wrote in a blog post about that, except I don't
understand IPv6 well enough to assert it's usefulness in this context.
That's good to know. My hassles so far have all been related to my
teaching ministry, most of which takes place via the Internet these
days.

Thanks, folks, helping me get about as much of this as I am likely to
grasp. I'll be keeping my eyes open for more Net chatter about
decentralized DNS.

Ed Hurst
--------
Open for Business - http://ofb.biz/