[CS-FSLUG] Don't Tread on Me?

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Sat Aug 14 09:55:08 CDT 2010

I'm not reacting you specifically Jon, just using your comments as a
springboard.

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 09:15:32 -0500, Jon Glass <jonglass at usa.net> wrote:

> Comparisons cannot stand too much scrutiny, nor should too much be
> read into them. To be honest, I was merely trying to sort of keep some
> "on topic" sense to my point.

Agreed. The folksy expression is "You can't make a parable walk on all
fours."

> Sorry, but I saw that as a tautology, since that is the supposed and
> stated goal of all "church" organizations, is it not? The question is,
> which allows Christ and the Holy Spirit the most freedom to work -- or
> put this way, which is the biblical of the various options? That is
> rather stark, but, I really don't think people want to read the long
> version of why I think this way....

I'll offer a summary of where I take this. I distinguish between Law and
Grace. Grace covers the spiritual realities which so easily escape words
and intellectual consideration. The mind was given by God to serve the
spirit He brings to life in us; the spirit rules when we walk by His
Spirit. The mind then organizes how the flesh carries out the demands of
the Spirit-spirit communion. The Law helps us discern what it looks like
in a broad sense, and was never designed to be an absolute rule, since God
of all Persons knew it could not cover every case. It is not only proper,
but required of us to abstract the Law.

How we organize our churches comes under Law, as it were. I'm sure few
would agree with me, but as I read the New Testament, each church was
modeled on the Hebrew household-clan structure. Not a matter of DNA, of
course, because even under the Old Testament, anyone who embraced the
Covenant fully was a Child of the Law, and any born Hebrew who rejected
the Law was treated as a Gentile. The identity is in the covenant. Every
church is a covenant family, and should be organized and operated like a
Hebrew household.

You can probably extrapolate where I take it from there. Bring on the
cheers and jeers, because I don't take myself that seriously. ;-)

--
Ed Hurst