[CS-FSLUG] Hard drive won't format - or maybe stay formatted.

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Thu Aug 5 13:36:58 CDT 2010

  One "desperate measure" is to toast all the information on the
drive with something like:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=1024

This line assumes that the drive is /dev/sdb.  :)
This basically blasts the partition table and MBR off the drive,
regardless of whether or not anything is mounted, etc.  It is a great
and exciting way to modify the drive.  Exciting, in that, if you do
it to your primary OS drive, you are in deep trouble...  ;)

Doing this is nearly guranteed to remove the partitions.  The only
reason it might fail would be if there was something protecting the
boot sector ("antivirus" in the BIOS or the like).  The dd command
reads in from /dev/zero (which produces an unlimited number of zeros)
and writes it out to the beginning of the drive specified (I used
/dev/sdb).   The beginning of the drive is where the MBR and
partition information is stored.  The bs (Block Size) and count
(number of blocks to copy) options just tell it how many to do before
stopping.  Removing them will write zeros across the whole HD until
ctrl-c is pressed, or you have overwritten the whole drive with zeros.

If you do this, reboot, and then try to repartition, you should be
able to avoid anything that pre-mounts the drive before you do your
fdisk.

I have not run into hard-drives that have built-in MBR protection,
but since some BIOSes have that option, it would be worth looking
into as a possibility.  What model of HD is it?

     - Tim Young