[CS-FSLUG] Now that everyone has read "Yep......I KNOW I'm gonna "stir the pot" with this one!"

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sun Aug 1 09:03:58 CDT 2010

Mr. Sayles erroneously believes he can interpret Scripture in new and different
ways because he claims to be guided by the Holy Spirit. Regardless of how
sincere Mr. Sayles might be or how convinced he is that he's guided by the Holy
Spirit, he's seriously deluded. Central to Mr. Sayles argument is his belief
that the Faith is defined by Scripture, so that it may be changed by changing
the interpretation of Scripture. But Mr. Sayles has it backwards: the Faith
came before Scripture, so Scripture only describes the Faith--it doesn't
define it. That means Scripture can't be interpreted differently today than it
was interpreted 2,000 years ago by the Apostles and Fathers of the Early
Church--doing so would change the Faith, but the Faith "was once for all
delivered to the saints" (Jude 3): the authentic Christian Faith is "that
which has been believed everywhere, always and by all," so the interpretation
of Scripture doesn't change.

Christians have understood the terms "Body of Christ" (cf I Cor 12:27) and
"Bride of Christ" (cf Rev 21:9; Eph 5:22-33) as referring to the Church--the
divine-human interdependent community of Christians headed by Jesus Christ--
even before the New Testament Scriptures were written, so that is the correct
meaning of those terms in the Christian Faith and specifically in Scripture.
Mr. Sayles' twisted interpretation of Scripture undermines the Church, which is
the "Body of Christ" and the "Bride of Christ," and therefore constitutes an
attack on Christ Himself, a horrible sin. Who do you suppose is the author of
all attacks on Christ and the Church?

May the merciful Lord stretch out His Almighty arm and snatch Mr. Sayles out of
the dragon's lair.

--
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Thomas Jefferson