[CS-FSLUG] Query: 64-bit coding comparisons

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Tue Nov 17 14:09:56 CST 2009

Does anyone on the list understand Win64 coding?

I've been surveying FOSS for Windows compared to similar apps for
Linux/BSD. For example, quite some time ago it was a significant
discussion among FreeBSD users about building OO.org on 64-bit.
Eventually, OO.org did some fixing and made it easier. Even proprietary
projects such as Opera have 64-bit binaries working fine on Linux.

Not so much for Win64. Is there something inherent in the field which
makes this difficult? Is MS hiding the Win7 64-bit building kits or
something? I don't doubt almost anything not tied directly to drivers and
such will run 32-bit on a 64-bit system, so that's not the question. I was
puzzled with the dearth of Win64 products compared to very wide selection
for Linux/BSD.

--
Ed Hurst