[CS-FSLUG] CDC States H1N1 Vaccine May Maim and Kill 30, 000 Americans, FDA Requires Minimal Efficacy

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Sat Nov 14 06:28:52 CST 2009

Fred A. Miller wrote:
>   The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has officially
> stated that there will be as many as 30,000 serious, potentially lethal
> adverse reactions to the novel H1N1 vaccine, while the FDA guidelines
> for the novel H1N1 vaccine only require that it work in 3 out of every
> 10 recipients.
>
> http://www.theflucase.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1428%3Acdc-states-h1n1-vaccine-may-maim-and-kill-30000-americans-fda-requires-minimal-efficacy&catid=41%3Ahighlighted-news&Itemid=105&lang=en

 >> between 1-10 per million persons vaccinated ... is a less direct
 >> way of stating that the risk is about the same as ... as many as
 >> 1 in every 100,000 vaccine recipients will suffer ...

30,000 * 100,000 = 3 billion

I don't think there are that many persons in the USA.

A better way of interpreting the "1-10 per million" is to say "between
300 and 3,000 Americans".  Big difference to "as many as 30,000".

For a balanced look at this statistic; the author should also have
presented the statistic for serious adverse reactions to H1N1 itself
(without vaccine).

One major problem I've seen with all the statistics about H1N1 is that
there is rarely any comparison to statistics for seasonal flu.