[CS-FSLUG] For ATI users! From an elist.

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sun Mar 29 13:11:21 CDT 2009

Hello Listmates,

I just installed ATI's new driver from
ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run
and all I can say is "It's about time!"

The resulting rpm generated installed without any heavy problems. My
glxgears
went from avgeraging 2300-2400 to 4800-5200.

A couple of side notes on this. If you were using the radeonhd driver
beforehand and did the recommended atconfig --initial command, please
review
your xorg.conf file to make sure it didn't leave the radeonhd loaded. I
diidn't see inprovements in speed till I removed that reference from the
file. This is what i'm referencing....

*Remove**
Section "Device"
  BoardName    "Mobility Radeon HD 3650"
  Driver       "radeonhd"
  Identifier   "Device[0]"
  Option       "monitor-PANEL" "Monitor[0]"
  VendorName   "ATI"
EndSection
*End of remove*

Section "Device"
  BoardName    "Mobility Radeon HD 3650"
  Driver       "fglrx"
  Identifier   "Device[0]"
  Option       "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
  Option       "Capabilities" "0x00000000"
  Option       "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
  Option       "FSAAScale" "0"
  Option       "FSAAEnable" "off"
  Option       "VideoOverlay" "on"
  VendorName   "ATI"
EndSection

Also, I noticed that the following was missing....

Section "Extensions"
  Option       "Composite" "on"
EndSection

With the above edits done... I have double the speed on my Lenovo W500
laptop.

--
"The fundamental premise of liberalism is the moral and
rational incapacity of the American people." ~ Fred Miller