[CS-FSLUG] IMAP or POP3

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Fri Mar 20 22:08:35 CDT 2009

Yes, with POP if you "leave the email on the server", when you download
the email, it shows up as "new".  This means that every piece of email,
you see it as "new" twice (once on each computer).  But more annoying is
that, if you delete a spam email off one computer, it is still on the other.

IMAP will not do that.  When it is marked as read, it seems like both
computers have it marked.  When you delete an email, it does not
"reappear" on the other computer.  In this scenario, IMAP is great.  The
downside is that it is a little less "portable" (offline work, if you
have a laptop and take it offline) in some areas unless you tweek some
of the options.

    - Tim Young