[CS-FSLUG] OT: Calif. Court considers "ending" marriage

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Tue Mar 17 18:50:35 CDT 2009

Mat Staver

A shocking and very disturbing report has just crossed my desk
that could fundamentally shift the marriage debate in America.

In fact, if this new strategy works, it could literally mean
the "End of Marriage."

Earlier this month, the California Supreme Court heard oral
arguments regarding the homosexual activists' challenge to
Proposition 8 -- the amendment defining marriage as one man
and one woman that was approved by voters last November.

Liberty Counsel's amicus brief for this case makes it clear
that the California Supreme Court has no legal or constitutional
grounds to reject Proposition 8.  But as I learned when I
argued the original same-sex marriage case before this same
Court last year, the homosexual activists (and judges with
an agenda!) are not deterred by the facts.

+ + How the California Court could "end" marriage

During the arguments in this year's case, a  "compromise" was
discussed that would supposedly satisfy all parties --
affirming the result of Proposition 8 but resolving the
alleged "equal protection" problem of not allowing homosexuals
to marry.

What was that compromise? Simply end the use of the term "marriage"
altogether by the state of California! When asked by one of the
justices, lawyers from both sides agreed that the so-called
"compromise" would resolve the legal disputes. But the
ramifications of a new legal principle that ends marriage
would be devastating!

+ + Dangerous phase in the battle over marriage

We do not know what the California court will do.
But one thing is clear:

    We are entering the most dangerous and most difficult
    phase in the battle to save marriage we have yet seen.

The California court ruling could be announced any day and Liberty
Counsel must be ready. No matter who the decision favors, many
Californians will be outraged.  If the decision goes against
pro-homosexual interests, we expect dramatic public demonstrations
and possibly even rioting.

Our lawyers are working on several marriage-related cases right now,
but I expect a flood of new cases to result from the California
decision, no matter which way it goes.

    We cannot allow these activists and judges to "end"
    marriage. Will you help me prepare for this crucial phase
    of the marriage battle with a special, tax-deductible gift
    right now? Go here to donate:

http://www.libertyaction.org/r.asp?U=17176&CID=297&RID=12946579

Every donation will help. We rely on the sacrificial gifts from
friends like you of $25, $50, or $100. Your gifts literally put
our attorneys to work on these cases and other key issues.

We know the political climate in Washington, D.C., under President
Obama and the Pelosi Congress is hostile to marriage. Our only
defense is to fight in the courts.

But we must be ready. Please help today. Thank you in advance for
your generous gift to Liberty Counsel, and may God bless you.

Mathew Staver, Founder and Chairman
Liberty Counsel

P.S. This new legal strategy that "ends" marriage is one of the
most dangerous threats we have yet seen to the institution of
marriage. I must fight back -- in the courtroom and the court
of public opinion. Please make your best tax-deductible gift
today to Liberty Counsel:

http://www.libertyaction.org/r.asp?U=17177&CID=297&RID=12946579

--
"The fundamental premise of liberalism is the moral and
rational incapacity of the American people." ~ Fred Miller