[CS-FSLUG] using postfix or sendmail to send mail (SOLVED)

Stephen J. McCracken smccracken at hcjb.org.ec
Mon Mar 16 20:43:35 CDT 2009

David McGlone wrote:
> On Monday 16 March 2009 10:53:26 am Stephen J. McCracken wrote:
>> David McGlone wrote:

>>> I had this nagging voice in me telling me the same thing, but for the
>>> life of me I couldn't find anywhere in postfix, a place to add a username
>>> and password.
>> Be careful here.  SMTP over SSL is *not* the same as SMTP with
>> authentication.
>
> Hmmm. That piqued my interest. I also have this feeling I have done something
> I shouldn't by using port 587?

No, you're fine.  I just wanted to clarify the ideas.  SMTP over SSL and
SMTP with authentication are two different things to solve two different
issues.  One requires that the user authenticates with credentials to
show they are allowed to use the server.  The other (SMTPS) encrypts the
connection between the user and the server to thwart someone listening in.

sjm