[CS-FSLUG] Good Sunday Morning

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Sun Jun 21 07:43:27 CDT 2009

For those of you who observe such things, happy Fathers' Day!

For those wondering how I handled the search for a fully enabled
console Linux installation, I stumbled across Squeeze. Should have
slapped myself for not considering it sooner. It does sound without X
dependencies, though I had to chase down a bug fix to get it working.
Blessed I am someone in the Fedora devs worked it out and posted it on
something Google could index.

I've tested the sound, played a music CD and even viewed a WAV video on
the console. The most recent Elinks is doing very well, having gotten
away from that ghost-text issue for the most part. I'm about to see if
I can configure Elinks to pass off blog editing to an external editor.
I understand Vim has the capability for soft-wrapping on the console,
which is essential for most blog sites, which read line-wrapping as
"new paragraph". I'll need to make a Vim cue card, since I don't know
the keystrokes and don't intend to use it for anything else. Joe is
much easier to use for most things. Alpine 2.0 handles my five email
accounts without breaking a sweat, once properly configured.

I would like to thank all of you for your input in helping me work
through this stuff. I am much more comfortable working from the console
full time. It makes this old Inspiron 4100 faster than lightening.

Ed Hurst
Applied Bible - http://soulkiln.org/