[CS-FSLUG] Synergy, a quite cool tool

Marco Tedaldi marco.tedaldi at gmx.ch
Sun Jun 21 04:55:38 CDT 2009

Good morning everyone

I found a tool which solver a problem i didn't know it was a problem
until yesterday almost perfectly.

Imagine you're a crazy guy like me havin 2 computers on his desk. One
desktop computer, running browser, graphic apps, MUA and stuff and a
notebook which is running the irc-client, instant messenger and browser.

The KEyboard and Mouse of the desktop are directly in front, for
keyboard and touchpad of the notebook you have to lean over, and you
can't copy/paste stuff from the MUA or browsers to IRC and vis versa.

That's the way I found synergy which does what I need quite perfectly.
It does allow to use a single keyboard and mouse to control several
computers. I know, VNC does this too, but it also makes the screen of
the notebook obsolete, which is why I'm using more than one computer here.

You can use 2 or more computers and define how the screens are located
relative to each other. When I reach the defined edge on my main sceen,
the mouse cursor jumps over the the notebook screen and the keyboard
entries are directed there too. You're not feeling, that you changed the
computer (and maybe even OS, since it is multi platform) anymore.

And even the conetents of the clipboard get syncronized. So I can
copy/paste text and images from one computer to another.

I thought, that this tool might be interesting not just for me, but also
for some reader here. Check it out!

shalom

Marco