[CS-FSLUG] Kiosk Web Filtering/Restrictions

Josiah Ritchie josiah at ritchietribe.net
Wed Jul 8 17:05:57 CDT 2009

I'd setup no DNS server at all and then manually enter the sites into
/etc/hosts with the proper IP. /etc/hosts would be one of the first
places I'd look when it failed me, reminding me of the oddball setup.

JSR/

On 7/8/09, sjm <sjm.mlists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On your other question - what do you mean by really, really simple?
>>
>> If the site is on the Internet, then personally, the way I'd do it is
>> by changing the routing table to only allow access to your DNS
>> servers, and the IP address of that site...
>
> I would go along with something like this.  If the site is on the LAN,
> don't set a gateway and you won't find anything outside your network.
> If you need to go outside, either don't set up a DNS or set it to a
> system that only replies with IP 127.0.0.1 or an internal webserver page
> that shows a page explaining the policy of use and use the hosts file to
> resolve the one IP you want.
>
> It's probably "simpler" trying to use routing and DNS tricks rather than
> filtering software.
>
> sjm

Our Mission
Technology and Hospitality for God's Workmen
http://missions.ritchietribe.net