[CS-FSLUG] iPhone or not?

Micah Yoder micah at yoderdev.com
Tue Feb 24 03:35:11 CST 2009

Currently I'm using a piece of junk phone that my wife sent through the
wash and barely works. (It was hers, and she needs a cell phone more
than I, so we swapped SIM cards.) So I need a new phone.

Our AT&T contract is up for renewal in May.

I sort of talked myself into getting an iPhone then, for the easy to use
web browser and the ability to surf the net anywhere (such as while I'm
waiting in line), and because of the built in Google maps.  Sounds very
useful.

However, in principle I would much rather have an open Linux based
phone.   Would either the OpenMoko or the Android Dev phone satisfy my
desire for features?  They are also more expensive (no contract, but I'd
probably have to buy a data plan anyway).

Which would YOU choose?