[CS-FSLUG] Technology News: Distros: Linux Haters Make a Few Valid Points

Legatus lists at runyanrants.net
Thu Feb 19 09:45:43 CST 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 00:04, Fred A. Miller <fmiller at lightlink.com> wrote:
> While those who disparage Linux might have a point with regard to its
> appearance or the lack of drivers, they fail to see the larger issue.
> Linux is a success because it represents an alternative in an
> environment that is designed to help the powerful eliminate alternatives.
>
> http://www.technewsworld.com/story/66207.html?wlc=1235023357
>
> --
> "The fundamental premise of liberalism is the moral incapacity
> of the American people." ~ Alan Keyes

Lack of drivers is a red herring. My dad has stopped buying the crappy
little toys from the computer store, because he never used them to
begin with. All the hardware that is useful has drivers very quickly.
For most things, there is competition, and 1/2 the competition has a
penguin on the box. The ones that don't, you can make a fairly
reasonable guess that if the Mac logo is on there, it uses an open
standard and a driver already exists for linux.
--
JD Runyan

Katharine Hepburn  - "Life is hard. After all, it kills you."