[CS-FSLUG] It's not an OT post it's a.........

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Thu Feb 5 07:45:39 CST 2009

David McGlone wrote:

>> Opera developers are making some serious errors in how they structure
>> the thing. It is the only browser I know of capable of causing the X
>> server to hang, repainting itself on every desktop, even after the
>> process is dead. Just recently Opera locked up on some bad JScript (to
>> which Opera seems always vulnerable) and I couldn't get it off the
>> screen even after I logged out. I had to reboot.
>
> What does "repainting itself on every desktop" mean? Does it like, put itself
> on every virtual desktop? Like if I have 16 virtual desktops, it will put an
> hidden instance on each one?

Elements of the display -- primarily the grey background of panels, the
white background of the display area, etc. -- will repaint itself on
every one of your virtual desktops. Not hidden, but it will tend to
paint over whatever you have on that desktop already.

I don't know enough about coding and terminology to explain it very
well, but Opera hooks itself into the X server and is not easily
unhooked if something goes wrong.

--
Ed Hurst