[CS-FSLUG] TD: Liturgy, the Husk and the Worm

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Sun Feb 1 20:33:29 CST 2009

Timothy Butler wrote:

> So, I spent some time considering worship and tradition today. It's
> probably one of the most controversial things I've blogged about in a
> long time and I'd be interested in feedback.

You could probably predict my reaction, but I'll outline it, anyway.

Anything can serve as an empty husk. Hard rock, contemporary 7-11, rural
hymns, or any flavor you like -- it can all be mere fashion to hide
emptiness. I don't reject the modern institutional church for itself,
but for its huskiness. Make the institution but a convenient tool and it
will serve well. When the tool becomes too much the work itself, the
gospel message is lost.

I'll continue to play house church until I am more sure just what the
kernel is.

--
Ed Hurst